In a message dated 6/12/07 6:34:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> because radios without crystal control drifted badly, which made net
> operation
> difficult and also made it impossible to assign closely-spaced radio
> channels.

I don't think that was the reason for crystal control.

The WW2 "ARC-5" HF sets were not crystal controlled, and they were used in
net operations. Same for the BC-191/375 and ART-13 sets, and many others.

I think the big reasons for crystal control was to eliminate the need for
tuning either the receiver or transmitter, and to eliminate the need for a
trained radio operator. The BC-611 walkie-talkie is the extreme example.

73 de Jim, N2EY