Stuart Rohre wrote:
Hi Fred,
Yes, I remember Gabriel Heater news; but the "all the ships at sea" was the tag line of gossip commentator Walter Winchell. Remember him? He also had the snappy code burst at the start of his broadcasts.

Can you believe, Andy Rooney of CBS "60 minutes" was a reporter for "Stars and Stripes" newspaper in WW2?

Andy Rooney reported in the S&S during our Vietnam adventure too. I remember his sort of opening line, "Ever thought about ..." When I'm in a CW contest, or we're in my truck and the repeater IDs, my wife will often say, "and all the ships at sea." She was born in 1945, and likely never heard Walter and I'm sure not Gabriel. Some things do stick around however, I'm told it's our culture. Often wondered what Walter sent, I do remember hearing it, didn't know the code then.

Really cool Eric/Wayne K3 show last night at the NCCC meeting in San Carlos CA.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7