What affects as all as Radio Amateurs is the increased level of
EMI caused by household items that include Switched Mode PSU's.

Within the EU these "should" have been tested to the relevant EMC
standards.

It is very apparent that there are a large number of devices which
are either defective, or have never been tested for EMC
compliance.

China is top of the league table for SM PSU's which cause
interference to radio services. In a large number of their power
supplies, components that were designed in to reduce emissions
have been omitted in manufacture for economic expediency.

For this reason, and not any Political motive, I avoid buying any
Chinese electronic products.

73
Stewart G3RXQ
Member RSGB EMC Committee

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:53:51 -0500, Tom McCulloch wrote:
> This is really off topic...but here goes.
>
> First of all please don't try to question our patriotism, if you
aren't then
> please accept my apology for that comment.
>
> Secondly, IMHO the option of choosing between number one and
number two just
> couldn't happen (I realize you said "what if"---but we could
also say "what
> if pigs could fly" -- they just can't -- except on another list,
of course
> :)  )
>
> The reason it can't happen is because ever since that little
experiment in
> Russia failed (Communism) the world has turn to a global society
based upon
> Capitalism (even China is embracing it, to a certain extent).
>
> The rules of capitalism would call for the prices of item one
and two to be
> pretty darned close, if the quality of the two were comparable.
 If not, the
> better quality product would disappear due to its price point
being too high
> OR the lesser quality product would go by the wayside because
people would
> see it for what it is (a piece of junk not worth the buying no
matter how
> appealing the price might be.)  Before this disappearing act
happened
> though, the product which saw its sales go down would either A)
in the case
> of the better product, cut its production costs (and quality) to
become
> price competitive or B) in the case of the lesser quality
product, makes
> itself a better quality product but find the need to raise its
price due to
> added production costs.
>
> However, the hypothesis posted here seems to be saying the
quality is the
> same...OK.  Take a ride on any major U.S. highway and tell me
how many
> foreign built automobiles you see there...quite a few, I think
you'd agree.
> These cars are more or less comparably priced with American
built cars in
> the same class, because that is the price the market will bear.
 (Let's
> assume for now that they are comparably built also...we won't
get into that
> discussion).  Be assured that the price of those foreign cars is
being set
> by the marketplace.  How can we be so sure?  Because of the fact
that they
> are set in U.S. dollars and being built with (say) the Euro
(we'll buy a
> European car).  Did you ever stop and think why the prices of
foreign autos
> has not skyrocketed with the recent dramatic fall of the US
dollar versus
> other currencies?  It's because the market can't bear it.  When
the Euro and
> the Dollar were (more or less) on a par with each, a one dollar
sale raised
> 1 Euro.  Today a one sale yields about 0.67 Euros.  The German
manufacturer
> (I decided on a Mercedes :)  )  is getting less money (in Euros)
than he
> was, although the price here in the States has stayed pretty
constant (in
> dollars).  So why doesn't he raise his price?...well, he can't
because no
> one will spend that much for his product.  OK, so how is he able
to sell the
> cars ... A) because he was making a lot of profit based on what
the
> Capitalistic market will allow him to charge in the past (having
not much to
> do with what it cost him to build the thing) and now his profit
is more in
> line or B) he can't and he will raise his prices, be less
competitive and
> probably lose a lot of his market share to the American built
cars (this is
> why the Fed is encouraging the dollar to drop against foreign
> currencies---to discourage foreign trade with the US (making
home built
> products more attractive to US purchasers) and to encourage US
exports
> (things are really "cheap" in the eyes of the person buying
things in Euros,
> etc.). )
>
> So I think this original post gets back to patriotism and those
bumper
> stickers that say "Buy American" and all which that implies.
>
> I'm an American, all things being equal I buy American, but the
question
> posted here is moot, because Capitalism works and we're darn
lucky to have
> it.
>
> Tom
> WB2QDG
>
> Note to Eric -- please pull this thread its *REALLY* OT.

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel
-campos-duffy/
>>> 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)