I borrowed a friends buddipole setup for a trip to Valdosta, GA with my K2/100. It had an 8' mast. My understanding is it perfoms significantly better with the 16' mast. It did ok for what I was doing. I had a 20m dipole strung low, and the buddipole did better than that. The biggest plus for the buddipole is that it can be setup in many different configurations and you know what you have.

If on the other hand, you know you will be able to string something 20' up in a tree and run with that, it is a different matter.

I did not play with the buddipole in the vertical configuration, but now wish I had. I can't find the article, but the author twisted a coil in a wire, I think about 20' high, tied a coupe of guys and 3 radials and worked stations all weekend while camping in the rv.

Dave Wilburn
K4DGW
K2/100 - S/N 5982
K3/100 - S/N 766

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Brian Lloyd wrote:
I am heading out on a bit of a DXpedition in a month and will be dragging the K2 along with me. I will be in St. Kitts (V4) and Dominica (J7).

Thinking about antennas, I was planning to take my SGC-231 tuner and some wire but am also looking at the Buddipole (which Elecraft sells so that makes it on-topic here :-) as an alternative.

Would anyone care to comment on wire/tuner vs. Buddipole?

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com