One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if a guy is complaining about
your shack noise being heard between your sentences or even words, it simply
means that your signal, to this guy, is extremely strong, and he has his AGC
set too fast, so that it tries to follow the audo waveform. Inreasing the
AGC time constant (setting it to "medium" to "slow") and/or kicking in the
attenuator and/or turning off the preamp, or some combination of these,
typically solves the problem (assuming the K3 TX really is set up
properly -- not too much mic gain / compression, etc.). Guys have been
amazed at how much better I sound after I tell them this. :-)  Of course,
approaching the issue from the K3 TX side is completely valid as well.

Bill W5WVO