If we are talking about modifying the K3 transmit audio, we also might want to look at installing a "phase rotator", or "phase scrambler".

Most male voices are very asymmetrical. This presents a real problem with broadcast radio, especially AM. With US AM transmission, you are allowed 100% negative modulation, and 125% positive modulation. With a proper AM transmitter and audio chain, and the 125% positive limiter disabled, and the right "type" of a male voice, you can get 175-200% positive modulation while never exceeding 100% negative. Flip the polarity of the audio driving the transmitter, and you will cause carrier clipping on the negative modulation, while never going over 60-75% positive modulation. The broadcast equipment manufactures will many times look at the asymmetrical waveform and flip the polarity of the audio signal. Today, most stations depend on the microphone processor to balance out the microphone audio, by simple phase scrambling of the low end of the audio. This effect smooths out the sound of many male voices. I can turn the phase rotator on and off on my radio stations microphone processors off (Symetrix 528e's), and my announcers will complain that their voices sound a little "brittle".

If you have ever look at your SSB signal on an oscilloscope, you may have noticed that the waveform goes higher in one direction than another.

It might be interesting to experiment with external processors on the effect, or lack of effect that phase scrambling might do for SSB.

   You can read up on how you can do this at several places:

W3AM does a good job at:
http://www.w3am.com/8poleapf.html

http://www.nu9n.com/am.html

http://www.omniaaudio.com/tech/speech.htm