>From postings on the reflector, it would seem that more than a few of K2 8v
>regulators are on the low side, including mine.

I've just ordered a couple from a local supplier to see if they are any better,
but if they are not, I will "jack up" the ground lead of the 8v regulator by
connecting a diode in series with it - i.e. interposed between the regulator's
ground lead and the ground it was connected to.  A silicon diode like a 4148
(or 4001 to 4007) will effect about a 0v6 increase in output voltage and a
schottky or germanium diode will give about 0v2 to 0v3 increase.

Of course, this "jacking up" compromises the regulator's inbuilt short circuit
protection but in a stable environment like the K2 it can either be accepted
that it is unlikely to ever be called to work into a short circuit, or a
reverse connected diode can be introduced between output and ground as
protection.

73   DaveL  G3TJP