Dave,

If you "jack up" the the type of 8V regulator used in the K2 by adding a diode in series with the regulators ground lead, have you found any sign of oscillation at the regulator's 8V output terminal? Also, if my memory is working properly, the regulator's ground lead is connected to its heatsink tab which would require that an insulated thermal pad be added and non-conductive (DC) hardware used for mounting the regulator.

In my opinion the reverse connected diode which you mention as a protective device should always be used with these three terminal voltage regulators.

FWIW the regulators made by Motorola or ST which I have purchased from Farnell in the past have always produced the correct output voltage be it 5V, 8V, 10V or 15V, both positive and negative.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

David Lankshear G3TJP wrote on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 10:00 PM

From postings on the reflector, it would seem that more than a few of K2 8v regulators are on the low side, including mine.

I've just ordered a couple from a local supplier to see if they are any better, but if they are not, I will "jack up" the ground lead of the 8v regulator by connecting a diode in series with it - i.e. interposed between the regulator's ground lead and the ground it was connected to. A silicon diode like a 4148 (or 4001 to 4007) will effect about a 0v6 increase in output voltage and a schottky or germanium diode will give about 0v2 to 0v3 increase.

Of course, this "jacking up" compromises the regulator's inbuilt short circuit protection but in a stable environment like the K2 it can either be accepted that it is unlikely to ever be called to work into a short circuit, or a reverse connected diode can be introduced between output and ground as protection.

73   DaveL  G3TJP