On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 05:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Bill W4ZV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[snip]
>> The beat is not the same as the difference in filter offsets.  Somewhere
>> in the KRX3 documentation I believe it states the beat may only be as bad
>> as a Hz or so.
>>
>> 73,  Bill
>>

>Found the reference on page 42 of the KRX3 manual (1.6 MB):
>
>Diversity receive performance may be enhanced by
>using crystal filters with matched offsets
>(CONFIG:FLx FRQ). This ensures that the VFOs
>are at exactly the same frequency. Non-matched
>filter offsets will result in a difference of about +/- 1
>Hz between the two synthesizers, which may be
>heard as a “beat note” under some conditions.
>
>http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KRX3_Subreceiver_Install_&_Operate_Rev_A_WEB.pdf
>
>73,  Bill

This beat note experience is one of the reasons I got a K3.  My Orion II always
had a 6Hz difference between the A VFO and B VFO.  It was very irritating after
having Kenwoods and Yaesus that did not suffer from that problem.

I am still waiting for my KRX3, but when I heard about the offset possibility I
changed my order for the KRX3 from a 2.7 KHz filter to a 2.8Khz filter (the
others ordered are all 8 pole filters) and replaced the 2.7Khz filter in the K3
with a 2.8Khz filter.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to