Nico Palermo, IV3NWV wrote:

You are not replying my question, Bill.
I've simply asked if you are able to listen to a -105 dBm with a + 7 dBm
inteferer placed at
a 2 kHz offset with your receiver.

You have two choices:
1) No, I can't.
2) Yes. I can.

If the reply is #1 you should explain me why if the BDR of your receiver is
declared to be 140 dB
at 2 kHz spacing and you are not able to do handle a 111 dB signal dynamic
range.
If the reply is #2 I kindly ask you to provide me the proof and I will
apologize with you.

BTW, if in a real situation nobody would try to operate 2 kHz apart a strong
CW signal, due to the
clicks, what the ARRL Blocking Compression Gain test at 2 kHz is meant for?
Is it for dummies?
Don't you think that questioning the utility of the test while being so
proud that your receiver is rated with that figure
is a really poor argument?

Can you briefly explain why you feel ARRL's definition of BDR below is not

correct?

...The blocking dynamic range is the difference between the level of the
> noise floor from the level of undesired

signal that produces a 1 dB decrease in a weak desired signal...

I already know the ARRL definition.
What "weak" means? Is it a signal at  the MDS level, 20 dB stronger, or 50?
Weak is not 1 foot, nor 2 inches/second. It is NaN, not a number.
For DXers weak means S 8, for others it is right the MDS, for other it is
the level of the least audible CW signal immersed in the noise, say 10 dB
less than its power.
If "weak" is meant to be S 8, be sure your receiver has a 140 BDR, as
defined by the ARRL, but I kindly let you note that the difference between
10 dBm (the level of the interfering carrier that produce a 1 dB decrease in
the weak signal in a receiver which has a sensitivity of -130 dBm) and -79
dBm (the weak S8 signal) is not 140 dB, but just 89 dB.
Do the same test with a weak desired signal which is S 4 and let me know if
you are able to measure the gain compression of your receiver or if instead
you simply you are not, just because the phase noise of the LO is 20 dB
higher and has already completely desensitized your equipment.
In the case you are not able to do it, why do you claim that your receiver
can handle a 140 dB dynamic range if it is not able to handle signal level
differences which are much less?

Nico I believe I finally understand your point.  In simple terms, you're
saying the K3's phase noise overrides close-spaced IMD and BDR performance.
In this case, I completely agree with you,  This has been a stumbling point
that Rob Sherwood NC0B and Peter Hart G3SJX of RSGB have been making for
many years now.  Both Peter and Rob have used the term "phase noise limited"
to tell us that phase noise is actually overriding close spaced measurements
like IMD.

What is truly important is the "Spurious-Free Dynamic Range" (G3SJX's term)
which includes phase noise, BDR and IMD performance.  SFDR is the worst case
of all 3 factors, and phase noise will clearly override IMD or BDR results
at close spacings in the K3.  ARRL's relatively recent change in test
procedure to use a narrowband spectrum analyzer to measure IMD is masking
the actual SFDR result because it's using a narrow band filter to remove the
phase noise component when making the measurement.  Our brain/ear only has a
~50 Hz filter at best, so we will hear the phase noise in that 50 Hz
bandwidth instead of the ~1 Hz (?) BW ARRL's spectrum analyzer uses.  What
good does it say we have extremely good IMD or BDR at close spacings if that
performance is theoretical and does not represent what our ears hear?  I
agree it is misleading.

I believe what you're actually saying is that Perseus has much better
close-spaced phase noise than the K3, and ARRL's measurements of
close-spaced IMD and BDR are imaginary numbers that do not represent what
our ears will actually hear.  In that case, I completely agree with you!
Would you tell us how Perseus compares in the following phase noise
performance?

The following table is from a post by Eric WA6HHQ in September 2007.  I've
added the Flex 5000 based on measurements published after Eric's note:

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2007-September/073931.html

"Here are transmit composite phase noise numbers from the Lab for the K3.
Needless to say, we are pleased with the results. :-) I've also included
some numbers from the ARRL reviews for several late model rigs.

Rig     1kHz    2   10   20   50   100   1M
K3      -110  -119 -136 -140 -143 -144  -150
IC7800  -103  -112 -130 -138 -140 -140  -140
FT2000  -102  -105 -128 -129 -128 -128  -128
ORION 2 -121  -129 -126 -125 -118 -128  -138
OMNI 7  -102  -103 -120 -123 -127 -129  -126"
F5000   -123 (same at all spacings de W4ZV)
Perseus   ?

What I personally wish is that ARRL should do is go to a metric like SFDR
which G3SJX has proposed.  I believe this would be the most meaningful.  It
would show us the worst case of what our ears will hear from any of the
spurious components at various spacings.

I'm going on a little trip with my XYL for a few days now but will be
interested to see your response about Perseus.  Again, I agree with you that
the close-spaced IMD and BDR results published by ARRL will be overridden by
phase noise.

73,  Bill  W4ZV