Lance,

It has already been thought of and included in the K3 - see below.

I am not sure if you are referring to the KEY OUT jack on the back of
the K3 or the PTT jack.
The PTT jack is an input - one would plug the footswitch into it, or
alternately use the PTT on the microphone or the PTT from the RS-232 input.
KEY OUT becomes active as soon as the PTT is activated - there is also a
KEYOUT-LP signal on the ACC connector that acts the same as the KEY OUT
jack except with a limit of 10 ma.

The K3 normally transmits RF after the KEY OUT is active by the amount
of time entered into the CONFIG menu TX DLY parameter - that provides a
maximum of 20 ms RF delay.

For those who need more time that that, there is the TX INH function
that can be configured for pin 7 of the ACC connector - it can be
configured for either TX INH LO=Inh or HI=Inh.  This signal will prevent
the K3 from transmitting RF until the inhibit signal goes away.  See the
K3 Owner's manual page 19.

73,
Don W3FPR