Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> I find this response baffling. Providing a road map of future development is
> exactly what major software companies like Microsoft, IBM etc. do, and I
> guess they have a lot more at stake than Elecraft. The idea is to give
> customers the confidence to invest in the product, especially where they may
> be interested in features that are in the pipeline but not yet available.
>
> Frankly I don't think anything that would be divulged in such a road map is
> any great secret. It's basically about letting people know when the K3 will
> work in every respect as one would expect. For example, AM does not
> currently have the option of speech compression due to an issue that
> Elecraft has not yet found the time to work on. Letting people know when
> this issue is going to be fixed is not going to be giving away any trade
> secrets.

Very big difference between Microsoft and Elecraft.
Microsoft for all intents and purposes has NO competition. They're
attitude is "this is where we're going, whether you like it or not" and
they're market share and installed base are big enough to let them get
away with it.

You don't think the R and D departments at Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom
wouldn't love to know what Elecraft plans are for development in the
next year? The K3 caught all three of them with their pants around their
ankles and they've been playing catch up (not very well) since.

I hear that Kenwood is getting back into the high performance HF market
again. We'll see if they've learned any lessons from the last ten years
of being on the sidelines.

--
R. Kevin Stover, ACØH