I passed the Extra back in the 1970's. Twenty years later my local Ham club
was looking for license class instructors. I thought it'd be fun to do a
whiz-bang demo of basic circuit theory for new Novices or Techs.

But they wanted someone to teach Extra theory. Okay, that's what they needed
and I was there to help.

Had I known what I was getting into I might not have been so agreeable.
(Isn't that true of most things?) I suspect I learned a lot more than my
students. I've always subscribed to the theory that a good teacher has to
know at least 10X what he/she intends to teach so I was soon digging through
piles of texts on the various subjects touched upon in the study guide - and
the Extra exams had changed greatly since I passed the test.

It's said that we teach what we, ourselves, most need to learn. It was a
real boon to me. Not just in getting 'up to date' but I got a real feeling
of satisfaction to hear from each student as he/she passed the Extra test.

So, if want to learn and the opportunity arises to help someone pass the
test...

Ron AC7AC