Jim,

If I can jump in here with some comments please.

The current Extra class (and all other classes as well) are more
oriented toward operating practices than to detailed technical
knowledge.  Basic electrical laws and knowledge are not really required
to pass the test.  So, questions about ohms law or how to calculate
power can be ignored if the applicant can excel at answering all the
questions about operating and FCC rules correctly.

I cannot judge whether this is all good or bad, but the engineer in me
says that the Extra class candidate should possess at least some
knowledge of basic electrical laws, formulas and circuits - that is what
sets the Extra class apart from the other license classes.

Quite another point is the multiple choice question format - it is an
easy matter for those with a good memory to simply memorize the question
pool with no understanding of the principles behind the questions.  To
really administer a test with drawings and other facets that communicate
a knowledge of the subject requires examiners who will impartially
evaluate the tests with the many variants that can arise from different
applicants - it requires informed judgment, and that is not a task that
can be trusted to the current group of VEs since they are not trained
that way.

So I see the exam as sitting between a 'rock and a hard place'.
Decisions must be made for the sake of both the applicants and the
examiners.

The majority of new Extra Class hams are no longer the experimenting
kind, but they should be informed operators, and (much to my
disappointment) they are not the 'techies' of electronics that the Extra
class licensees used to be.

It is obvious from some of the questions posed by Extra Class hams that
they simply memorized the question pool rather than attempting to
understand the basic principles, and that part is saddening to me.
Unfortunately, I do not know of an easy cure other than reverting to the
qualified FCC examiners of old times.

73,
Don W3FPR