Hello Roy,

Yes, an 80m / 40m arrangement would be plausible. Although I appreciate that
you will be using buried radials, if the radials were elevated, a set for
each band would be required.

An alternative would be to use a form of close coupled half wave resonator
on 40m. This would consist of an approximately half wave length of wire (at
40m) running parallel to and spaced from the fed 80m 1/4 wave vertical, but
not connected in any way to the 80m 1/4 wave wire. I have used this concept
in multiband antennas. One advantage that this coupled halfwave radiator has
over the paralleled 1/4 wave vertical elements, is that its 40m vertical
pattern is generally speaking more useful than the 1/4 wave's vertical
pattern for DX in my experience, except on "dipole nights", with less
response at the higher angles. The disadvantage is that it is not a "plug in
and play" antenna.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD