Keith, I am sure you mean to inform or express your objection to what you
have been lead to believe about Behringer and patent or design infringements
but you are passing unfounded rumors.

The famous often quoted Mackie case was 90% dismissed on first reading by a
judge up could see almost all the claims were groundless. The point let
stand for trial(which never took place) were simply a similar color scheme
(one was blue and silver and the other was gray and silver so even there
they were not copies) and a similar but not that close, of a feature set in
their largest mixers at the time. Mackie was barking up the wrong tree with
that, ALL mixers of similar size at the time, including their own were laid
out and functioned similarly to prior designs by other longer established
manufacturers. To relate it to Ham radio, Collins would have, using Mackie's
logic, sued Drake for use of tubes, colors and a similar layout in their
first trancivers despite being quite different in design and roughly similar
in features, yet not acknowledge they were both derivatives of prior
practices in the field by, say, Hallicrafters. It was clear the suit was
brought as a marketing ploy by a company that was fast fading and losing
market share. They published it on musician forums and in ads long before it
was even filed or Behringer had been informed. It worked, you believed it
without knowing the facts, or bothering to find out.

There are essentially no patents on circuit designs, Mackie or others have
nothing uniquely their own in terms of fundamental circuit novelty, only
slight variations of common practice. These are "marketing" patents, ones
intended to lead the casual reader or shopper to believe a concept is unique
to them when in fact the patent really only covers the way plastic clips are
used to hold a component in, and has nothing to do with operation or circuit
topology. Consumers do not read patents. They see "Our revolutionary
patented mixer is all new and the best", when it is clearly not new or best,
or even much different from competing brands/models.

I have a lot of inside information about Behringer and Mackie, DBX etc, and
full sets of all the circuit diagrams for everything they ever made up until
a few years ago and comparing the circuits of DBX, Mackie, etc reveals no
copies, but they are all using similar parts with sub-circuits based on
application notes by the IC manufactures.
Behrngers main contribution was shifting assembly before the others to
China. That is the big breakthrough that separated them from the other
higher priced manufacturers.
They offered higher performance-to-cost ratio equipment, none best of class
but surely not worst either, just good value with good reliability. Their
rack mount gear and small mixers were very reliable, quiet and worked as
advertised, for a fraction of the selling price of the competitors. Since
that time ALL of the mass market pro and musical equipment manufacturers
have followed Behringer's lead and started subcontracting assembly in China,
including Mackie.

I've been to the Behringer headquarters in Germany many times, as well know
quite well all the major brands and boutique brands of pro audio and I have
been most impressed with Behringer. They have about the highest
engineers/general staff ratio in the industry and have a modern tightly run
operation. When I brought engineering data regarding the power supply
problem and a set of proposed remedies a meeting with the design engineers,
production engineers and even graphic arts was convened instantly and the
issue was worked out in 30 minutes, including a conference call with Uli,
the owner/chief engineer. Within hours the change was in place on the
production line in China. I saw they were serious about getting it right and
still keep their price point, something that is rare in the pro audio field
where it can take months for a Japanese company to even acknowledge a
problem.  They have more engineers than their competitors in almost all
cases. Uli Behinger himself designs much of the product line from his design
center in Singapore where he lives.

Next time someone uses that old rumor about stolen designs or cases lost ask
the teller if he has ever compared the items he is referring to. He hasn't
or he would be able to see in 1 second they are not the same. One rumor
repeated in this thread was about copied PC boards even had copied mistakes.
That is so easily proven false..it is supposed to be main channel boards of
their 24x8 mixers at the time. Why did not any of the rumor mongers also
report the same boards in question also had completely different layouts,
the eq sections and AUX sends were in different areas of the pc boards, the
only similarity was the channel faders were both located at the bottom of
board....like every mixer ever made.  Mackie even sued over the use of the
Panasonic 100mm fader as an infringement on an "exclusive supply contract
with Panasonic" but Panasonic 100mm faders were also supplied and used by 19
other mixer manufacturers simply because it is was the best inexpensive
fader ever made. The judge, a non-techie, in that case throw it out because
he picked up a parts catalog and found he could buy the same fader, one that
Mackie claimed was an exclusive to Mackie. A phone call to Panasonic told
the judge that the fader was a general stock item available from 10,000
Panasonic parts dealers worldwide and Mackie had no exclusive rights to it.
Behringer used it for the same reason other companies used it, it was the
best and cheap enough for competitive designs. I used it in my own
prototypes for that were licensed to manufacturers. Mackie went done because
they lost market share in what they were known for, small decent mixers,
they were too expensive, and not any better performing or having any
compelling features, not because any manufacture ripped off their designs.
Mackie became popular because Greg Mackie had a good idea, build lower cost
mixers by automated pc board assembly. That almost overnight took the low
cost market away from more established mixer companies such as Soundcraft.
Mackie had in vested in automated pc board production and dropped prices
below the competitors. As the company grew they increased product lines in
areas they were not good at and failed to keep up with advances in
automation. Behringer came along and found that China had a major advantage
in electronic assembly, they invested heavily in the latest automation
production lines, so moved their production to China.  That moved the base
price point much lower and Mackie could not compete being stuck with 8 year
old production automation and not the money to invest in the latest
production lines. They lost track of why they succeeded in the beginning
when they took the market from the leaders. By that time they were the
leaders and Behringer took their market using the same principle; Value and
price point.
Stan
Km6xz
Happy K2 owner