Good Evening,

re: "The construction of organizations and their interplay in the domain of politics is, I think, more than anything else a process."

I agree, and understanding the process is critical.

Parties take on a life of their own ... and their life-blood is money. Their primary and continuing concern is to attract the support they need to insure their existence. Ultimately, support is and must be financial. Thus, parties are standing targets for the vested interests that benefit from the laws they enact.

In the United States, this process has been running for over 200 years. During that time, we've seen the birth and cancerous growth of behemoths that owe their existence to the laws they've purchased from the people we elected, at the behest of the parties, to represent us in our government.

As you say, it is a process, a process that includes gutting the laws passed after The Great Depression to limit the excesses of huge financial interests. As a result, this very weekend, we are pondering how we can prevent severe losses to foreign governments that trusted the integrity of our financial institutions.

The aspect of this circumstance that is commonly overlooked is that the legislative acts that allowed the current contretemps were not seen to be ideological in nature. They were proposed and enacted as 'routine housekeeping' tasks ... just 'cleaning up some old legislation'. Since they were not branded as liberal or conservative in nature, both parties were able to support the changes without violating their ideological franchise, hence their actions were unchallenged.

By far, the greatest proportion of bad legislation is purchased and passed in this way. Imagining that ideological differences have a significant impact on our legislative process is the height of folly.

(In this connection, it is important to recognize that lobbying is a vital part of the democratic process. The evil is not lobbying, the evil is our failure to build an infrastructure that can forestall the potential for corruption inherent in the legislative process; the evil is our failure to devise an electoral process that makes integrity a valuable trait in our public officials.)

re: "The process is influenced by both external and internal constraints: what weakens and what strengthens."

That's true. It is a process that, by the natural operation of self-interest, strengthens partisan control of our government and weakens the people's influence. That is NOT a good thing.

re: "... multiple parties would keep any one party from gaining such dominance that it could trump through policy unopposed, even more so since the opposition of multiple parties would be stronger than the opposition of a single party."

That is correct. The more we atomize the perspectives that combine to form policies, the less opportunity there is for single-party dominance. On the other hand, to be effective, opposition parties must achieve significant size and the larger they grow, the greater their susceptibility to targeting and subversion on matters purported to be non-ideological. That portion of the process is Darwinian, and, right now, the 'fittest' are not the humans among us.

I must interject here that changes that weaken the stranglehold the two major parties exert over the political infrastructure in the United States are valuable. My opposition is to the lack of understanding of the process, the dynamics that produced the monster we currently endure. As you said, we need "... something with which to replace the old party dynamics ..." but we can not find that 'something' until we understand how and why our present system evolved as it did and learn to harness the forces that guided its development.

Fred