On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 04:12:21 -0400 Michael Allan wrote:
Dave Ketchum wrote:

I do not understand 'no resolution':

By time N1 there have been 10 votes in the poll - to analyze as a complete Condorcet election.

By time N2 there have been 2 more, for a total of 12 to analyze as if a complete election.

Any such election may produce a CW.

Those that do not produce a CW result in a cycle...

Meaning indecision?  Maybe it's best to leave it at that.  To
"resolve" it and report it as a decision is to report a fabrication.
(I was taking your preference for a hands-off resolution to the
extreme.  When faced with cycles, meaning indecisions, "nothing gets
done to encourage or discourage their existence."  Let the indecision
be.  "Let be be finale of seem...  Let the lamp affix its beam.")

Or meaning the Condorcet count is unable to "see" the decision?  Then:

Condorcet CAN see - perhaps each formula can be described as representing view via different glasses.

Perhaps three groups of voters have come to SOLID decisions as to their preferences, but their decisions conflict - A>B, B>C, and C>A.

... I suggest at least the ability to implement multiple cycle resolution formulas, to support comparison of the resolutions provided by various formulas.

And maybe combine their resolving power?  Where a telescope is unable
to resolve a faint star, an array of telescopes can do better.

We want to see which telescope does best - we are far from the point where merging the conflicting results would help us toward truth.

Here I see Votorola offering a useful, though incomplete, service. What I see desirable for Condorcet is an external site using that service.

I guess it depends on where you're aiming.  You can test resolution
mechanisms under simulation in vitro.  Why test them in vivo?

Good question.  Trying:
In simulation there is value, and sometimes excessive temptation, in tailoring test cases to favor a desired result. In vivo, as I proposed, you get all kinds of test cases exposed to multiple formulas, but not necessarily a good variety of test cases.
--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    people.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                 If you want peace, work for justice.