nwf> For various and sundry reasons, I'd like to
nwf> have elftoolchain support out-of-tree builds
nwf> (at the very least, with WITH_TESTS=no and
nwf> WITH_DOCUMENTATION=no).

As of [r3594] the tree should build when .OBJDIR != .CURDIR,
albeit sans the tests and additional documentation.

I've checked the following with Ubuntu+bmake:

1. An in-place build:

   % cd $ELFTOOLCHAIN_SOURCE_DIRECTORY

   % bmake WITH_TESTS=no WITH_DOCUMENTATION=no depend all clean

2. With an obj/ directory:

   % bmake WITH_TESTS=no WITH_DOCUMENTATION=no obj depend all clean

3. Using MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX:

   % bmake MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/some/path obj depend all clean

Could you please let us know if the tree fails to build (or
clean) on your OS version?

Regards,
Joseph Koshy