> I do think that the name OTP applications is unclear.

I agree. It has a double meaning: we can call all applications an OTP
applications or we can call the ones that ship part of OTP (the standard
library) an OTP application. Suggestions for better names? We could call it
`kernel_applications` or `stdlib_applications` if that's clearer?

> How does one determine if a production dependency is an application or not?

Production dependencies must always be applications unless you have a very
special case of a production dependency that is compile-time only (and I
can't recall of any).