Another idea is to focus on the most common case and built on top of that:

  def application do
    # Any application that does not come from a dependency, such
    # as Erlang and Elixir applications must be explicitly listed.
    [start_applications: [:logger]]
  end

But you can also pass ", other: :included, compile_time_only: :skip". The
new :start_applications cannot be used alongside the old
:applications/:included_applications options.

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D