One other option is to have something called configure_applications
(although something shorter would be ideal):

configure_applications: [logger: :start, other: :included,
compile_time_only: :skip]

We will automatically include all production deps but you can remove or add
something by using configure_applications.

Further thoughts?

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec