I would second the boot loader approach when viable, but since it's not in
your case, then there is nothing particularly special about how the paths
are set up, you just need to add the lib directory from your Elixir install
(e.g. `-pa <path to elixir/lib/*/ebin`) and the build directory where the
project code is (e.g. `-pa _build/<env>/lib/*/ebin`). If you need to
compile the project as part of this process, then indeed you might have
better luck just running Mix via `System.cmd` - there isn't necessarily
anything wrong with that approach, but then it's entirely up to you to
ensure that the spawned nodes are cleaned up before shutting down the
spawning node.