>From what I can tell, port communication uses Cmd because interop with
JavaScript isn't necessarily a request-response communication pattern
(instead, port are pubsub).

But I do have a question: *Is the underlying problem a need to coordinate
access to a shared resource in JavaScript? *I ask because you mentioned
localStorage in your initial message. I imagine you'd instead want to leave
the coordination in Elm to take advantage of Elm's concurrency model
(immutable data + message-passing) and have a single port to talk to
JavaScript.