The problem initially arose when I had two ports, one of which wrote to
local storage and the other of which closed the window.  Nothing was ever
written to local storage because the window closed first.  The reason I
went with two ports is because those actions are so conceptually different,
and if it were actually just for local storage I would have used a single
port.  If it were not for the fact that JavaScript processing ceases after
calling window.close, the current port implementation would have worked for
me.