Bastien <b...@gnu.org> writes:

You register once and for all? Is there some red tape involved in
maintaining the registration?

Assuming I haven't misread/missed anything, the only thing that we might cause a change is if the specification changes - but since it looks like we can just link to our specification we probably wouldn't even need to
do that.

For that, I think a formal syntax specification would be
needed. Perhaps https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html will
do? It looks complete.

We should first read https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html and carefully check that it is up to date and still accurate, then make it more user oriented (for now it more developers oriented.)

I see. Would there be someone well suited to check that everything is
accurate? I wouldn't feel confident auditing the whole document by
myself.

I'm ready to work on this before the end of the year.

Marvellous!

Perhaps it could be worth putting the syntax spec under the main
site as something like orgmode.org/syntax-spec.html.

I would not go into this direction: as you know, I'd like the home of orgmode.org to be just one page (index.org/html) and move other
pages to Worg.  So let's not move org-syntax.org to the website,
it is good as a worg resource.

Mmm. My thoughts on having lots on Worg haven't changed, I was just thinking it might seem more 'official' / better if the page were nearer
to the site root.

I've also been considering spinning off the manual into a bit of a specification document (e.g. less of a guide / how-to, stripped down
to just the bare information), so perhaps
orgmode.org/specification.html#syntax ? I'd really like some second
opinions.

This would be too many docs to maintain.

This was partly motivated from it sometimes being annoying to just
check what forms an element can take and not finding it easy to see in
the manual.

Yea, maintaining /another/ file doesn't seem like a good idea though...

Is anyone willing to move forward with this registration?

In about two months, I am.

Okay, thanks! Let's work on stabilizing Org syntax and reconsider the registration idea then. I will also ping future maintainers on this.

Sounds good! Thanks for being open to the idea :)

All the best,

Timothy.