On Thu, 31 May 2012, andy pugh wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:10:39 +0100
> From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] CSMIO Eth motion controller + EMC2
>
> On 31 May 2012 17:47, Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:
>
>> any idea what the Mesa folks are using as Ethernet transport method?
>
> I don't think I know enough to understand the question. Would "UDP" be
> a valid answer?

We intend to use simple master slave UDP transfer mode for real time I/O since
we are really using this as very simple data pipe (and it needs to stay simple
if its to have good real time performance with low cost hardware)

UDP (well we support ARP and ICMP-echo and bootp as well) has the advantage
that it works just fine with userland TCPIP/UDP stacks so for non-real time
applications (buffered motion for example) the same interface works
on a normal network.

We currently can support 5KHz update rates and I expect to improve this with
our next hardware version that has a 16 bit processor embedded in the FPGA
instead of 8 bit, perhaps up to 10KHz update rates

> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto