On Dienstag, 14. Juli 2020, 06:09:38 CEST Chris Morley wrote:
> The problem seems to come from people thinking the contact with the homing
> switch is where home is. which is not surprising, as when you ask linuxcnc
> to home that's where it goes first.

May be its caused by the wording, or linuxcnc people are already accustomed to
crappy minds :/

The word "homing" does not reflect the importance of that issue. In german we
talk about referencing an axis. So referencing is completely off to users
wishes or likes. The machine moves (assuming it does not have absolute
encoders that are battery buffered) toward the home switch until the switch
signals contact. That's the axis origin - and I thought, this is what the word
"home"-position means.
With any professional cnc I know about it is the case.
Obviously not with linuxcnc :(

So if linuxcnc has different behaviour, it is far from being flexible. It's
just
crap! Crap from people that don't know machine behaviour.

After referencing all axis (I use the german expression, which might describe
more exact what happens) the machine knows its origin and can move.
No programmer will ever use machine-coordinates (G53) - only in case of
trouble or for maintenance. So if you use G54 ... you don't have to know or
care about machine coordinates. The coordinates are as you like them to be.
And if you want the machine move to a different location after homing, that's
what stored locations (i.e. G28) are for.

And that a user needs to use negative tool offsets is bullshit. A machine
controller like linuxcnc should handle tool dimensions in any direction. A
tool length can never be negative and so you can't move an arc with negative
radius. Well, I talk about tool dimensions, not wear level parameters, which
of cause can be negative.

Its very poor, that there are so many weird workarounds in linuxcnc caused by
ignorance, lack of knowledge or misunderstanding :(

I don't wonna support that crap, so may be, its better some other guy cares
for translations ...

cheers Reinhard