On Dienstag, 14. Juli 2020, 16:49:08 CEST Robert Ellenberg wrote:
> I agree that it's logical to use positive offsets for tools in a spindle
> (since a negative physical size is nonsensical). However, what if you have
> an auxiliary spindle with a tool tip above the zero height of the main
> spindle? I'm not saying that's a wise choice, but it would be physically
> correct to have a negative length offset.

At work we have multispindle lathe with revolver with turning tools and
multiaxis milling head combined with tool changer. The auxiliary spindle can
pick up the workpiece from main spindle and continue work ...

There you have any thinkable combination of tool dimensions and coordinate
systems - but you as a user don't have to care about coordinate systems or
positive or negative offsets.

Tool dimensions are always positive and coordinate systems are relative to the
spindle. You have 2 controller instances (like linuxcnc) which can work
independently or synchronized.
Revolver and Millinghead work for both spindles and each spindle can run in
lathe mode or as indexed axis.

I guess, that kind of machine fits all thinkable situations - but none of them
is illogical to the user.

We have a saying:
the genius of an invention reveals in its ease of use,
not in the complexity of its structure

cheers Reinhard