In a message dated 98-07-06 20:40:33 EDT, rbus...@es.com writes:

<< A test house explained to me that the FCC allows either CISPR or FCC
 limits/procedures providing that one can determine "worst case".
 Consequently, you have to test both ways (120 V 60Hz or 230V 50Hz) to
 determine which way you should have tested. So, where are the time/money
 savings?

RIck,

I think it's good practice to "explore" your product somewhat before you go
for compliance testing. It helps determine just what you need to quantify in
the test lab, and what can be ignored. I have not yet met with problems going
this route with any agency folks, in fact I would expect them to endorse it.

Our lab makes its living helping folks make these decisions before they go to
a DLS, Elite, UL etc where the charges are much higher, but the labs are
certified.

Derek Walton
Owner L F Research EMC Design and Test Facility