Dear Derek and Brian
If you (or anyone else) have any examples of "things that didn't work
well together" for reasons of lack of adequate EMC I'd be pleased to
have some details of them. Also of things that didn't work well because
of their electromagnetic environment.

E.g just recently I heard two examples where overhead travelling cranes
in heavy engineering factories started moving due to interference. One
was a radio controlled crane influenced by a new spindle controller
drive on a CNC machine in the factory, the second was not radio
controlled but although its controller used no software it was set
moving by a (supposed) mains transient.

I'm usually told by equipment manufacturers that their installers and
users never experience any problems with interference, so (they claim)
design and testing for immunity is a waste of money.

But when I talk to users (especially people who construct more complex
electronic systems) it seems that they always have interference
problems, which usually get fixed by trial and error leading to a
greater cost and lower reliability for the user than if the interference
had been fixed by good design and immunity testing in the first
instance.

Computer networking is a field in which a lot of trial and error seems
to occur to make them work adequately, and computer downtime is known to
lose economies like the US several hundreds of millions, if not
billions, of dollars annually (I've got the survey results
somewhere....). I wonder how much of this is down to a lack of adequate
EMC?

I may want to make some details public, so make sure to suppress
manufacturers' names unless the information is already public domain.
References to publications in which any examples were reported would be
welcome too.

Also please let me know whether you are happy to have your name, or your
company's name, associated with the examples if/when I do publish them
(I'll automatically leave your name off - unless you specifically say
you are happy for me to use it, in which case I'll be pleased to say who
provided the information.)

I am up to date with all the interference incidents reported in
Compliance Engineering Magazine since 1992, including all the medical
equipment stuff that can out after Silberberg's first articles on
interference in healthcare premises - so please don't repeat that info.

For EMC examples that I have had published so far, refer to the EMC
Journal's "Banana Skins" section, that they began in their February 98
issue (www.emc-journal.co.uk).

Thanks in advance for all information, references, and anecdotes!

Keith Armstrong

Partner, Cherry Clough Consultants
Cherry Clough House
Rochdale Road, Denshaw, OL3 5UE, UK