To:   emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
cc:    (bcc: Steve Williams/SDD/NAM/APCC)
From: geor...@lexmark.com on 11/22/99 03:42 PM
Subject:  RE: NRTL acceptance

I tried to recall NRTLs that were approved for asessments of ITE to
UL1950.  I did not overlook MET (listed in my note), but may have
missed NTS which may fit this description.  I'm not sure the others
are sanctioned for listing of ITE under UL1950.

There are many NTRLs, including UL.  There is no "NRTL" mark, as all
NRTLs are legally equal.  The mark of some NRTLs has included the
letters "NRTL" as part of their mark, apparantly by choice.  The
CSA/NRTL mark is an example.  To my knowledge, the use of "NRTL" in
an agency's mark is not mandatory.  CSA has recently changed their
mark to drop the "NRTL" and simply show the CSA mark with "US"
subscript for assessment to the U.S. stadnard.

However, Canada does not recognize the U.S. NRTLs to assess an ITE
product to the Canadian standard.  There is a mutual agreement between
Canada and the U.S. that "allows" a UL assessment to the Canadian ITE
safety standard.  This results in the UL mark with a subscript "C",
often called the "c-UL" mark.  It is my understanding that when the
Canadian government bids out ITE for its own use, they tend to prefer
the CSA mark over the c-UL mark.  This seems to violate the "spirit"
of the agreement, but who can force them to do otherwise?

George Alspaugh

(Some or all of the above may reveal ignorance on my part, which can
be "cured" by more enlightened appends to follow.)

---------------------- Forwarded by George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark on 11/22/99

vgorodetsky%canoga....@interlock.lexmark.com on 11/22/99 03:10:00 PM