                From:   Martin Green [mailto:martin.gr...@iti.co.uk]
                Sent:   Friday, December 03, 1999 4:09 AM
                To:     'Patrick, Al'; 'mkel...@es.com';
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
                Subject:        RE: Cell Phone Hazards?

                I agree, there has always been a knee jerk reaction by the
press to anything "bad".

                Mad cow disease is a typical example.  We banned sales of
beef on the bone in UK because someone suggested that there might be link
with new form CJD.  No proof, just a suggestion, and that gave rise to a ban
on its sale in UK and a further drop in confidence about the safety of food.
Now we have the bizarre situation where the UK government want to allow it
to be sold again, but the Scottish and Welsh parliaments do not (they
represent 15% of the total UK population), so the ban continues.  And of
course we now have a documented case of new form CJD in a young girl who has
always been a vegetarian - bad science? And the press loved it all - they
sold millions of papers and we killed millions of cows.

                The good news out today in UK is that a group of eminent
researchers headed by the UK most prestigious epidemiologist, Sir Richard
Doll from Oxford University, have concluded that there is no evidence of
cancer being caused by electric power lines, so the heated blankets are OK.
I have not read the report yet so there may be some stings in the tail.
This is just hot off the morning news.

                Martin Green
                Technology International (Europe) Ltd.
                (44) 1793 783137