From:  Jay Johansmeier [SMTP:jay_johansme...@mw.3com.com]
Sent:  Thursday, May 11, 2000 11:05 AM
To:  Ned Devine
Cc:  emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject:  RE: UL certification and Underwriter Laboratory

To Ned and Group,

Read it for yourself on the UL homepage.

http://www.ul.com/auth/tca/v6n1/difference.htm

Regards,

Jay Johansmeier
Regulatory Engineer
3Com Corporation

Ned Devine <ndev...@entela.com> on 05/11/2000 10:07:26 AM

Please respond to Ned Devine <ndev...@entela.com>

Sent by:  Ned Devine <ndev...@entela.com>

To:   emc-p...@ieee.org
cc:    (Jay Johansmeier/MW/US/3Com)

Hi,

OK, I wasn't going to say anything, but.

1.   A UL Listed product complies with all of the applicable
requirements.  Usually from a standard.

2.   A UL Recognized Component does not comply with all of the applicable
requirements.  That is why they have Conditions of Acceptability.

Whether the product is a complete unit or a component is immaterial to
whether it is UL Listed or Recognized Component.  If it meets all of the
applicable requirements, it is Listed.  If not, it is a Recognized
Component.

Now, sometimes UL cheats on this and calls it Classified.  Medical equipment
is Classified to UL 2601-1.  This is mostly because UL does not require you
to meet all of the requirements.  They say the FDA (US Government agency)
covers them.

Ned Devine
Entela, Inc.
Program Manager III