Group:
        Having subscribed to this group for over a year now, I am really
impressed by how easily we hold  technical "bull sessions" with emc
engineers from all over the world. This is a fabulous service of the ieee.
There is only one problem with it: ya gotta speak english.

        If an engineer  can't speak english, he or she is really handicapped
nowadays. Like it or not, it has become the "de facto" world language.
        But english is a very hard language to learn. Linguists rank it up
there among the most difficult in the world. Our spelling is really screwy,
for one thing.
        I hate to see some of our overseas clients - smart people and good
engineers - having to struggle with the inconsistencies of the language.
Many of our own college graduates have problems with grammar and spelling.
As a communications engineer, i can tell you that this is not a good situation.

        I think we ought to simplify it. If we can virtually eliminate the
word "he" and erase the suffix "-man" due to political correctness, we
certainly can substitute "thru" for "through" and "enof" for "enough" and
make a few simple changes like that.

        Maybe there ought to be a new European Standard: a simplified
version of English for international use.  Sort of a "CE-Mark" version of
English to make life a bit it easier for the rest of the world, and to
encourage more smart people to participate in valuable forums like this one.

        Comments welcomed.

Regards,

LOUIS T. GNECCO M.S.E.E., PRESIDENT
TEMPEST INC. 112 ELDEN ST. HERNDON VIRGINIA 20170
(703)"TEMPEST" (836-7378)
CERTIFIED ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY ENGINEER CERT. # EMC-000544-NE
CERTIFIED ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE CONTROL ENGINEER: CERT.# ESD-00143-NE