Tanja,

A bit off the subject, but relevant to questions you've raised.  To my
knowledge, there were 60,000 esperantists in the world before the WW2.
20,000 Russian esperantists disappeared in the Soviet Gulag.  Those
idealistic linguists were trying to create a new way of international
communications without dominant single language.  Stalin (you would expect)
was promoting Russian language.