Hi Chris:

>   Does the file number need to be on the label?  Can the manufacturer
>   leave the file number off of the label and simply put a generic UL (or
>   CSA) mark on the product along with their nameplate identifying the
>   manufacturer, model and serial number?

In my response to Amund, I indicated that UL requires
a manufacturer identifier, which is usually the
manufacturer's name, but alternatively can be the UL
file number.

UL also requires a product identifier such as the model
number, but does not require a serial number.

A generic UL label is not possible.  Section General of
your UL FUS Procedure identifies 4 elements that comprise
the UL certification mark:

1.  The copyrighted UL mark itself (UL in a circle).
2.  The word "Listed."
3.  The category of equipment, e.g., "ITE" or "PRINTER."
4.  The UL control number assigned to the manufacturer
    for this specific category of equipment.

While you may be able to buy Item 1, or even Items 1 and
2, on a "generic" pre-printed label, you must necessarily
provide Item 3 because it describes your equipment, and
you must necessarily provide Item 4 because it is unique
to you.  All of these elements must be in reasonable
proximity of each other.

I don't believe CSA has the same four requirements for its
mark.  So, I believe you can buy the generic CSA mark.  Be
sure to verify this statement with CSA before taking any
action.

Good luck, and best regards,
Rich