Hi Gregg:

>   The File number 'may' be used on things like cable (it is common to see UL
>   and CSA file numbers) and other components - Control numbers (I forget the
>   correct terminology) is required on some UR components but not all Listed
>   products.

UL Listed wire:

    According to the UL Yellow Book, UL-certified
    Appliance Wiring Material must bear the UR mark.

    If the wire bears the UL file number, then it is
    either in lieu of the manufacturer's name or is
    in addition to the manufacturer's name; the file
    number is NOT required.

UL Listed products:

    The UL 4-character control number is ALWAYS
    required on a Listed product.

UR Recognized Components:

    There is no control number for UL Recognized
    Components (UR).

    The usual UL component certification mark is
    the manufacturer's name and model number.

    For some components, e.g., connectors, the UR
    mark either is not required or is optional.

    For some components, the UR mark is required.

    The UL Yellow Book identifies the required
    markings for components, including those
    components that must bear the UR mark.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,
Rich