Robert,

Check out the National Electric Code (NFPA 70) Article 500-7(a) and 500-7(b)
for your answer, but simply stated, In a Division 1 location, the hazardous
atmosphere is assumed to be present under normal conditions, and a Division
2 location, the hazardous atmosphere is present under abnormal conditions (a
chemical spill, leak, etc.)

What is needed to bring a Division 2 product into compliance with Division 1
requirements?  It ultimately depends on what the product is, and what method
of protection was employed.  I will assume that the Division 2 product was
evaluated as a Non-Incendive product, if this is the case, then that product
was only investigated under normal operating conditions.  To upgrade the
certification to a Division 1 location, one would have to look at the
product operating under normal operating conditions, a single fault
condition, and also a double fault condition (whichever is worst
case...NOTE: a double fault is not always worst case).

If you are NOT using Non-Incendive/Intrinsic Safety type protection then I
would have to have a little more information about the product as well as
the method of protection being used.

Contact the lab who did the original certification, they should have some
intimate knowledge of the product and be able to tell you after reviewing
the original investigation data if upgrading to a Division 1 classification
would even be possible for the product, but be forewarned, it is usually not
a simple process and may require some rather severe product modifications.

Kevin Robinson
Senior Project Engineer/QA
Safety Laboratory
MET Laboratories