Hi Kate:

>   a) Do they allow presence in lab (technical area) itself ?  If not, then
>   where are clients who are at the lab normally placed?

Depends on whether the lab is testing a competitor's
products.  If not, then I can usually observe the
testing.

If I can't go into the lab to witness testing of
my product, then I won't go to the cert house at
all.  Or, I will re-schedule for a date when I can
witness the testing.

>   b) Are engineering/design type tests handled differently than compliance in
>   this respect?

We do most engineering/design testing at our site.
There is one test we cannot do.  So we engage our
test house, and we observe the test.  If it fails,
we go home and fix it.  If it passes, then the
test results count towards our certification.

>   c) What about formal witnessing of tests?

As mentioned, we do most tests at our site; when
we do certification tests, we invite an engineer
to our site to witness the tests.

>   d) How you feel about the policies that are in use?  Do they influence your
>   choice of labs?

I wouldn't work with a lab that wouldn't let me
witness the tests.  If the test fails, then you
may not understand the test process, and may not
be able to fix the problem.  There is nothing
like witnessing a test, either pass or fail, to
fully understand the intent of the requirement.

>   f)  Have any related polices recently changed in the labs you use?  How do
>   you feel about this, and is it an influencer?

Not that I know of.

>   e) Any other comments about this?

No.

Best regards,