What I missed in this discussion are two essential topics:

-  far field conditions are frequency dependent. (lambda/2pi)
   + this means that a 3 meter chamber will tend to respond as bad a 10
meter chamber at 3 x the frequency.
   + ruling the close/far field issue, means that a 3 meter chamber is
usable only from a certain frequency up
   ( let's say antenna distance is 1 meter: transition F is 50 Mhz (here +/-
3dB accuracy problem) and
safe measurements may start from 100 Mhz.

-  absorber lining tends to decrease in performance with frequency; below
100 MHz reflections are
inevitable, bigger linings perform better at low F. Here the 3 meter chamber
literally gets filled up !

More expensive absorber material and combinations of these may improve the
absorption.
In bigger chambers this quality may be lower due to increased reflection
distances behind the EUT and
behind the antenna. Wall and top reflections are comparable.

In general - with today's technologies - a larger room behaves better, but
with a some frequency restrictions
a small room may perform satisfactorily.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/