From:   Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent:   Thursday, January 10, 2002 1:32 PM
To:     Chris Maxwell; Cortland Richmond
Cc:     scott....@jci.com; michael.sundst...@nokia.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        Re: Car EMC, was bulk current injection testing

A lot of humor is based on a deliberate misinterpretation of a common phrase
or common wisdom.  "Take my wife, PLEASE,"  Or the cute stress relief advice
I got the other day.  "To relieve a headache, fetch a bottle of aspirin and
follow the directions: Take two aspirin and keep away from children."

In this case the apparent contradiction is not one at all.  The automobile
requirements enforced on emissions protect radio receivers in other
automobiles and fixed radio receivers operating near roads, the immunity
requirements protect your car from malfunctioning when Mr. Richmond's
rolling radio station is in the vicinity.  Emission limits protect broadcast
radio reception, while immunity limits protect non-antenna equipment from
high powered transmissions.

Not wishing to start another long thread, but I know I am not alone in
fantasizing about building a cell-phone jammer and operating it with glee
when I follow some slow driver weaving down the road ahead of me with a
phone cemented to his/her ear.