As engineers, we should consider the safety
implications of what we design, test or otherwise
work on. EMI is part of that. What is considered a
safety risk depends a great deal on corporate
policy, the legal, political and popular climate in
one's state of residence, and the kind of equipment
under consideration.

As it happens, the issue of pacemaker vulnerability
is addressed in more regulations than USC 47. That
is why, in the United States, we have not only a
limit on microwave oven leakage, but also pacemaker
warning signs on microwave ovens used by the public.

The robotic arm is a great example. Others are
automotive airbags, or electronically controlled
brakes. These sort of things are the reason why
industry associations develop limits of their own.
Those limits accommodate both a performance
requirement and practical aspects; they can't make
the product too expensive to build or no one will be
able to sell them at a profit. They can't be
unreliable in the field or people won't buy them at
all. And they can't cause too many problems, or the
company will be sued. One factor weighs against
another.

We are at the balance point.

Regards,

Cortland Richmond