I get the idea that we a missing the whole point of this discussion.

Should we as Professional Safety Engineers and Product designers
consider the safety implications of EMC emissions ?

The answer is a definite Yes. We have a clear duty of care and
responsibility to consider all implications of our products being used
in there intended application. Even if the consideration on EMC
emissions and safety is "Do not be silly." We still have to at least
consider it.

It has been stated that CISPR22 and CFR Title 47 Part 15b is only
concerned with interfering with radio transmissions. This is true and
why the enforcement falls under the Federal Communications Commission.
But not all products fall under this remit and could quite happily be
emitting large EM fields and comply with all current US legislation.

Take for example the line surge equipment you use to test immunity to
EN61000-4-5, exempt from the Part 15B under section 15.29 as "A digital
device used exclusively as industrial, commercial, or medical test
equipment." And clearly not medical equipment. Yet when operated can
produce a magnetic field that will interfere with the operation of old
style pacemakers. Should you consider this when addressing the safe
design of the product, or blindly state you meet all applicable EMC
regulations for this product. With my unit the manufacturers have
considered this and clearly state in the user manual that people with
pacemakers should not operate or be be near the equipment when it is
use. Two lines in the manual is not very big much against the risk the
of killing someone.

In Europe for CE we have no choice. The LVD state quite clearly that
testing to a standard alone is insufficient to demonstrate compliance.
You to consider foreseeable use and misuse, and you have to perform a
risk assessment on your equipment.

Taking it down to the standard level IEC60950 3rd Edition, section 0.2.7
states you must consider the effect of rf radiation on service and user
personnel.

Another example, you build a IPC cabinet for to be built into a
production line, again exempt from CISPR 22, yet when it it running,
causes interference on the control circuitry of a nearby Robotic arm. In
the US immunity testing is not required, so who is liable. A susceptible
Arm or noisy IPC cabinet. Being that every was fine until the cabinet
was installed, you can see the blame would be pointed.

Simply put, if EMC emissions from one of your products caused someone's
death, because you did not consider it important. Could you sleep at
night ?

--

Andrew Carson - Product Safety Engineer, Xyratex, UK
Phone: +44 (0)23 9249 6855 Fax: +44 (0)23 9249 6014