Hi John,

Officially this type of  "apparatus" does not qualify
for ce marking due to the reasons you gave.
Commercial reasons make that most product of this type
in Europe ARE ce marked. To my knowledge
none was prosecuted for illegal use of the ce mark.
What the ce mark implies is thet you declare that your
product complies with essential safety requirements
in normal use and foreseeable misuse, as well as protects
the radio spectrum.

Basically all you need to declare compliance is to do an
assesment of it's eligibility for ce marking according to the
directive's most probable: the EMC directive and the LVD directive.
Both refer to standards, that will list requirements that a passive
device (unless high voltages are involved)  will comply to due
to it's physical properties. No tests required thus.

[blatant ad: don't read]
We do such assignments regularly, at an almost symbolic fee.
You may adhere the ce mark to your product and
prevent most confusion at customs, customers and the retail network.
If you believe we may be helpfull contact me at g.grem...@cetest.nl
or hit reply (not reply all !)
[end of ad]

Regards,