I don't think you can use this directly, but I ran hours of tests on a
tantalum cap at full rated potential while applying large amplitude
microsecond spikes with no hiccups, no heating until I got quite extreme.
The cap was rated at 30 WVDC and I biased it at 28 Vdc, while applying all
kinds of nasty spikes.  The report accounts for at least seven hours of
applied bias potential and spikes, with no failure until after several hours
of a multi-kilovolt, 20 us long spike finally destroyed it.

The reference is:

K. Javor, Investigation Into the Effects of Microsecond Power Line
Transients on Line-Connected Capacitors, NASA/CR-2000-209906, NASA Marshall
Space Flight Center, AL 35812, February 2000, pp. 33.

and it can be found at:

http://see.msfc.nasa.gov/see/ee/eepub.html