Nonetheless, inrush current aside, a 20V Tantalum is considered marginal for a
12V
circuit if reliability is desired. A 60% derating factor was and is a typical
max
for reliability circuits, i.e a 30V min rated cap is recommended. Tantalums
require
additional derating than Al-electrolytics. Furthermore, switchers are notorious
for
destroying Tantalums due to the large and fast V-swings. I don't recall seeing
too
many Tantalums on switcher designs.

--- Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> The issue isn't voltage rating; low-ESR caps such as these are susceptible
> to excessive charging current at turn-on.  At a former employer, we saw
> REALLY GOOD, expensive caps used on a computer's 5V bus exploding at
> turn-on, even ones rated at 50 volts. Replacing them with cheaper
> electrolytics (TEN volts!) took care of that.  You might be able to
> alleviate turn-on stress by using a power-on monitor circuit to slow down
> the initial charge. But it'd be far cheaper to go to electrolytics.
>

> Cortland
>

> >> One of my colleagues is testing a new design.  He has designed
> >> a buck-boost switching converter which has tantalum output capacitors.
> >> We have looked at his design and gone through the calculations.
> >> His output current is 4 A maximum.  His output voltage is 12 VDC  His
> >> caclulated ripple current is 800 mA.  He needed a 120 mV ripple voltage,
> >> so he put 8 each of 68 uF, 20 V tantalum capacitors (with 150 mOhm ESR)
> >> in parallel on the output.   Each cap is rated for approximately 800mA
> of
> >> ripple current.
> >>
> >> He has seen two failures of these capacitors during initial testing and
> >> demonstrations.  Meanwhile, many initial units run fine.   From what I
> can
> >> gather, he hasn't violated any design rules.  He has 20V rated caps on a
> 12V
> >> circuit.  He has a ripple current rating of 8 X 800mA (8 caps in
> parallel).
> >>
> >> It is tempting to just increase the voltage rating to 25V or 35V....but
> why?
> >> Even if he does, how do you prove that the problem is fixed.  It would
> take
> >> months of testing the new capacitors to get the history that we have on
> the
> >> existing design.

> with the single line:
>      unsubscribe emc-pstc

>      Ron Pickard:              emc-p...@hypercom.com
>      Dave Heald:               davehe...@attbi.com

>     http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/
>     Click on "browse" and then "emc-pstc mailing list"

=====
Best Regards
Hans Mellberg
Regulatory Compliance & EMC Design Services Consultant
By the Pacific Coast next to Silicon Valley,
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
office:831-454-9450, cell:408-507-9694, fax:831-454-0755

http://health.yahoo.com