From: Price, Ed [mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com]
Sent: 20 February 2002 16:09
To: 'EMC-PSTC List'
Subject: RE: South Korean Power System

Hi Listmembers!

I asked a general question yesterday about Korean AC power, but now I have a
little better idea about what I need to discover. One of our field engineers
said that AC power at South Korean military bases used the SCHUKO style
outlet system. But he said that one of the power pins was somehow referenced
to the safety ground. Thus, one pin to safety ground was 220 V, the other
pin to safety ground was 0 V. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, which pin
is the "hot" pin?

John Woodgate pointed out that SCHUKO plugs are symmetrical, and can be
plugged in two ways. That seems to imply that even if one pin is referenced
to safety ground, the appliance manufacturer must design his device to
accept the plug connected either way. I think that means the appliance
manufacturer must then design for the possibility that either input
powerline might be hot. Comments?

Thanks again,

Ed

     Dave Heald:               davehe...@mediaone.net