I read in !emc-pstc that geor...@lexmark.com wrote (in <200202061341.IAA
00...@interlock2.lexmark.com>) about 'Compliance After Repairs in the
Field', on Wed, 6 Feb 2002:

>Our products range in price from $50 to $10K. The low end units have no
>service plan, only dispose and replace.  All of the others can be
>serviced by our authorized service centers, or by anyone else who wants
>to hang out a "Service-R-Us" shingle.

Good, but of course the legal eagles (vultures) have made it difficult.
If you don't provide the 'shinglers' with full service data, you can be
held responsible if one of them makes a dangerous repair through
ignorance of something *that is not obvious*. (If you can convince the
jury that is IS obvious, you are probably off the hook.) If you DO
provide them with full information, your authorized service centres will
complain.

Never mind that what you are doing is clearly pro bono publico, it
provides a source of fees, which is what matters.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!