I read in !emc-pstc that Enci <e...@cinepower.com> wrote (in <3.0.6.32.2
0020205082333.00aed...@mail.cinepower.com>) about 'ITE Class A vs B
Emissions', on Tue, 5 Feb 2002:
>I have often wondered exactly why there are two classes in EN55022. The
>limits are pretty similar, does a 13dB difference in conducted emission QP
>limits really make a difference above 5MHz? I know the 23dB difference
><5MHz (conducted emissions) helps with products that have a SMPS, for
>example. In the radiated emissions the difference is 10dB. In the real
>world is there really a need for two limits?

Probably not. The CISPR Class B limits were probably (even I am too
young to know!) influenced by the situation in Germany in the 1950s,
when their AM (only sort available) broadcasting was severely restricted
to low powers and frequencies that no-one else wanted. Consequently,
man-made noise had to be kept low as well.

I suppose CISPR/H is considering a single set of limits, but that might
be the Class B limits if people who want something else don't bother to
take part in the work. Note that this is a matter of general interest,
not just for ITE, so it should not be a matter for CISPR/I alone.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!